Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Counting down

Wednesday, 27 July 2005, 7.30pm

Counting down to the Aberdeen International Youth Festival.

I have been slogging hard at the workplace for the past few days, and today, I decided I shall reward myself with a break from work. I took time-off in the afternoon to go for lessons with my tutor, and for orchestra rehearsals.

Yes, as I have mentioned yesterday, I asked my tutor to ask for help with The Elephant. He said that for the ritard section, it should be the string quartet who would be the one initiating the ritard. Then he spent quite a fair bit of time enlightening me of various possible ways to play that particular transitional passage.

Then, much of the time was spent going through the first and second movement of the Marcello's Sonata in G minor. These were the two movements that I had played when I attended a double bass masterclass earlier in May. My tutor spent quite a fair bit of time trying to get me to be more relaxed when I bow using my right hand. I was pleasantly surprised that the tone that I produced sounded much better after I worked on the right hand under his patient guidance.

I think I would still need to work on my vibrato. I seem to need more help in sustaining the use of the vibrato technique throughout various passages.

After the double bass lesson, I went for dinner alone. I felt quite energised by the lesson.

Double bass sectional started at 6 p.m. Today, QH was able to join us for sectional. It is nice to have her around.

During sectional, we went through the difficult passages from Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony and Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave.

(I am feeling quite tired by now, so I shall keep whatever that follows short.)

Orchestra rehearsals started at 7.30 p.m. We played the Butterfly Lovers' Violin Concerto. I think it would be quite a well-loved piece with audience?

We got to play the fourth movement from Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. Often, I wish the double bass section could have a larger strength. We have four players playing for the Aberdeen International Youth Festival, and I felt it would help to have more double bass players.

We were told that when we are in Aberdeen, most of the orchestra members are expected to play for the Festival Orchestra's concert. I have already set my time aside for this matter. I just keep my fingers crossed that there would be double basses available for our use when we are in Aberdeen.

Guess what we would be playing for the Festival Orchestra's performance? It's Brahms' Second Symphony. We sight-read Brahms' Second Symphony during tonight's rehearsals. I love Brahms' symphonies. Somehow I felt I could relate to his symphonies. It isn't an easy one to play though. I shall look forward to playing Brahms' Second Symphony.

Meantime, counting down.

By the way, the orchestra will be giving a concert on 27 July 2005. Click this link for more details:
http://oceanskies79.blogspot.com/2005/07/care-to-support.html

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

hee hee. we are looking forward to this concert!

crazycat said...

yea. am very looking forward to it!

Emy said...

hey! brahms 2nd? I WANT TO PLAY!!!!

Hilda said...

Ooo! I'm in love with Brahms' 3rd symphony! Actually I love them all.