Monday, July 18, 2005

Will the double bass be there?

Emily wrote in her post dated July 08 2005, titled .-*Vienna: Day 1+2*-.

She wrote of one of the woes of a diligent double bassists: There is no double bass to practise on!

I shall quote her:
For the first night, we had rehearsals at the hotel basement in preparation for the competition. We had no basses, hence we just sat around, listened, gave moral support, and when needed, took down some notes. I really hate it when I have to sit around when not playing, but it makes the most sense since I was supposed to play, and times where bassists get to rest are quite rare because not every composer is like Iskandar who loves to leave out the basses. Thank god for the rarity of such a breed, or I would be jobless by now.


Meantime, I have not heard from the organiser of the Aberdeen International Youth Festival about when we would be able to gain access the double basses when the orchestra is in Aberdeen. I am not the person whom the organiser would liaise with directly regarding the rental of the double basses. So I could only effectively wait to hear from the organiser through the orchestra committee members.

Maybe life is a series of taking lots of risks? Here I see myself taking the risks of agreeing to rent double basses over there, and not knowing what kind of double basses to expect.

My fear is that I am no professional player. I fear I may need quite an amount of time to get used to a new double bass. I fear my intonation would suffer when I don't have enough time to practise on an unfamiliar double bass before the orchestra rehearsals and the concerts. I have no intention to hurt my awfully weak ego.

If I could have the luxury of funds and the choice, I would have choosen to partner with my "husband" or "boyfriend". Occassionally, I won't mind the company of a double bass that would cost one million US dollars. One that has a lovely seasoned sound that would melt everyone's heart.

So I shall keep my fingers crossed that there would be double basses available for yours truly and my fellow double bass section-mates, preferably 24 hours around the clock, when we are at Aberdeen.

The workaholic in me is telling me that it would be good to have a double bass with me all-round-the clock. I will be miles away from home when I am in Aberdeen. I will miss my husband, my boyfriend, and the many people in Singapore. So I would need a company in a double bass when I am in Aberdeen to console my lonely soul. I reckon that since I will be in Aberdeen to play music, I might as well find time to play music all-round-the-clock. I would rather have a double bass to play on all-round-the-clock than to have no double bass to play on there.

So I shall hope very hard that the answer to the title of this post will be a "Yes".

No comments: