Tuesday, October 28, 2008

18 Sep 2008: The music in the night


Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z--FGpVK15E
Nigel Kennedy plays the second movement of Vivaldi´s Winter.



After the insightful dinner with XS at a Spanish restaurant, XS graciously walked with me to Thomas Street. Along the way, I heard someone playing an instrument at a distance. It was definitely a string-instrument. From the sounds of it, I had thought that it was an erhu. XS said it was a violin. I should have known better. She was absolutely right. When we walked up and saw the performer who was busking, the performer was indeed playing a violin.

The effect of the amplifier had probably caused disturbance in my judgement and misled me to think that the tune was played by an erhu. After further listening, I could only identify that it was a violin concerto written by Vivaldi.

XS told me that the tune was one of the movements from Vivaldi's Winter. Winter is one of the violin concertos from a set of four violin concertos, The Four Seasons, by Vivaldi. She's definitely correct. I knew I just have to trust her on that.

Maybe we should have just stop by to listen to the performer play the entire movement? We went on walking. Whatever it is, my heartfelt appreciation to XS for her kindness and for her company that night. I thank her for the blessings that she gave me when we part for that night. Her simple gestures of friendship make me feel touched.

***
On the side, below is the accompanying sonnet that is to go along with the second movement of Vivaldi's Winter. Do ponder over it as you enjoy the attached rendition of this movement by Nigel Kennedy.


L'Inverno
Largo

Passar al foco i di quieti e contenti
Mentre la pioggia fuor bagna ben cento


Winter
Largo

To rest contentedly beside the hearth
while those outside are drenched by pouring rain



May you have a beautiful night.

No comments: