Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The challenging passages



Let me give my readers a chance to take a peep at some of the challenging passages from one of the scores for the double bass for the upcoming concert that yours truly will be playing in.

The above snapshot came one of the pages from the fourth movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 The movement is marked Gewitter, Sturm in German, which translates to "Thunderstorm, storm". The tempo of this movement is at 80 minim beats in a minute! To find out exactly how fast this tempo is, get a watch and then count 80 equal minim beats within minute, and that would be the speed of the movement. Then when you get the speed of a minim beat, go figure out how fast a semiquaver beat should be, and you would soon realised that the double bass section basically have to work-out a lot for this movement.

I have taken leave from work from today till this Friday. I desperately needed a break from the work routine else I fear I may just get burnt out soon. JY reminded me not to get burnt out when I last met her by chance on Monday. It wasn't a surprise that I was already looking forward to my leave since the end of last week. Getting a breather is good, it helps me unwind and recharge. Even the anticipation of a break helped me feel happier and lighter in mood. It delights me even more to be able to put aside time to catch up on practising on my double bass, affectionately addressed as my husband.

In the late morning today, much time was spent going through the difficult passages from the works in the upcoming concert programme. I won't miss out practising Gewitter, Sturm from Beethoven's Symphony No. 6. Instead of playing at the original tempo, I was playing at tempo of 60 crotchet beats in a minute. Basically, the intention was to get my fingers to remember (kinesthetically) how to play the entire movement. I was practising with the metronome clicking away so that I can also train my sense of rhythm.

If you do come for the concert, do listen out for the storm movement from the fourth movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6. It is certainly a stormy passage to play for the double bass.

What I like is that the fourth movement then leads to the fifth movement, and it is one movement that I love dancing to.


Sturm und Drum
Date: 16 Mar 2007 (Fri)
Time: 7.30 p.m.
Venue: University Cultural Centre Hall, NUS
Ticket Price: $11 each (including $1 Sistic Booking Fee)


***
Also read:
The joy of music making
Come hear us: Sturm und Drum

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

wish you success in your coming concert. :)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Misti: Thank you very much.

SA: I met her by chance, only spoke briefly to her.

The movement is in common time.

eastcoastlife said...

aiyo the notes look alien to me la!

awww.... have to miss your concert. Hey, maybe when you have the time, you can record your music for me! :)

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: I was attempting to show readers what goes on behind the scene when I prepare for concerts. It is alright if the notes look alien to you.

Hopefully showing a page from my score can create the effect of allowing readers to take a peep of the concert-preparation process. That is all that I aim.

Come for any of my future concert. I think music is best enjoyed live!