Saturday, March 10, 2007

My tutor said I've improved!

I had double bass lesson on 8 Mar 2007 with MJ. Except for the initial playing of scales, the entire lesson was spent solely to practise the 1st, 2nd and 4th movements of Marcello's Sonata in G major. Even though it was not the first time that I have played the sonata for my lesson, I still found myself delighted to learn more about double bass playing.

For this lesson, MJ drilled me to learn the methods of practising so that I can work towards controlling every single note when I play on the double bass. He demonstrated to me and got me to learn how to "pinch" the notes, in his very own language. He also demanded that I listen out for the pitch when I play the running notes from the second movement of the sonata, and not be solely reliant on the sense of touch of my left-hand. He was quite insistent that I should be steady in my rhythm. Despite all the various demands, I have enjoyed every bit of my lesson.

MJ told me that he does not just want me to play the notes. He wants me to play beyond that level, at a higher level. If you were present for my lesson, you would definitely see a broad smile on my face. I felt so thankful that he had said that. I want to play music that moves people's hearts and speaks to people's souls on the double bass, and I want to learn how to do that.

At the end of the lesson, he gave me a compliment and told me that I have improved! I can say that practise makes perfect, and it does help that I have set a goal for myself to practise at least four times a week.

So, to my friends who play a music instruments, if the demands of life have made it too challenging for you to find time to practise, find time to practise anyway. Even if it is just 15 minutes a day. Making music is in itself fun and very rewarding. The only thing is that sometimes, results aren't that immediate. But well, that way, I have learnt to be patient and to learn to trust the process of learning.

1 comment:

pinkie said...

happy for you! yes, my guitar teacher Robin said 20 mins a day is good for us :)