Saturday, March 10, 2007

Music theory exams

It has been quite a while since I last sat for a written examinations. I think the last exams that I sat for was the MBTI® (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®) Accreditation exams.

Today, I sat for the ABRSM Grade 6 music theory exams. I was allocated to a particular seat which had pretty dim lighting. It was quite dim lighting and I found myself having to strain my eyes to see. Looking back, I am glad that I had requested for help with the lighting. In the end, the invigilator and the steward ushered me to a seat with better lighting in an adjacent room. I am thankful for their kind assistance.

I had actually read briefly about arpeggiation when I revised earlier this morning, but when it came to the exams, I just did not recall the term. Anyway, hopefully the examiners could accept my explanation of this performance direction, at least partially.

Now the model answer:

To perform an arpeggiated chord, play the notes of the chord one after the other as quickly as possible, starting on the beat from the bottom note.


I am confident that I would pass this exams, unless things turn out beyond my expectations. If all goes well, I should get at least a merit. I don't really keep track of how well I have done for my previous attempts of past-year exams papers, so I can't have a good gauge of how much marks I could get for the paper. Anyway, I have done my best, and I shall just leave the marking to the examiners.

Meantime, I keep my fingers crossed that I could score at least 90 out of 100, and then I will able to win the Hedy King Robinson Award. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I won't know the results until a few months later.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

me fingers too, contorted for you!

oceanskies79 said...

SA and Misti: Thank you very much. :)